Q. How much chocolate does it take to operate the fountain?
A. The 19" fountain takes a minimum of 4lbs of chocolate and holds a maximum of 6lbs.
The 27" fountain takes a minimum of 7lbs and holds up to 11lbs.
The 34" fountain takes a minimum of 12lbs and holds up to 20lbs.
Q. Should I avoid any dipping items?
A. YES! It is highly recommended that you avoid any crumbly dippers such as pound cake or angel food cake. Crumbs will get into the chocolate creating gaps in the curtain and may clog the fountain. It is also recommended that you avoid any very wet dippers, as excessive moisture will cause the chocolate to sieze and not flow properly.
Q. What should I do if there is not a full curtain of chocolate?
A. This is usually one of two things:
1. You are low on chocolate (see minimums above). Add enough melted chocolate for the curtain to flow properly.
2. An air bubble has gotten into the auger (device that takes the chocolate to the top of the fountain). Turn the fountain off for 10-15 seconds and back on.
If neither of these solves the problem, check that the fountain is level.
Q. What are the best methods to melt the chocolate?
A. There are 3 recommended methods.
1. Melt the chocolate in the fountain itself. It will take 50-60 minutes to completely melt.
2. Melt the chocolate in a double boiler
3. Melt the chocolate in the microwave. Use low power and stir frequently, every 20-30 seconds.
Q. Can I use a chocolate fountain outdoors?
A. There are two things to consider before going with this option. First, consider the temperature. Keeping chocolate warm is critical to smooth fountain operation. Second, flying insects will be drawn to the chocolate's aroma. This is definitely not an appealing thought, so operating a fountain is generally not the best idea.
Q. What do I do with the leftover chocolate?
A. Anything you want! We will leave the tubs the chocolate came in, so after your event turn the fountain off and use a plastic cup of ladle to dip out unused chocolate into these tubs to take home and put in your own refrigerator.